Sunday 1 March 2009

Sound Week. Part A- Brisbane

Where do I start.
Brisbane was fucking rad. I will try to give a run-down.

Friday- Leave the house with plenty of time to spare, decide that yes I do need new outfit for Bris-vegas soundwave. Stop in and get the Schwipe dress, just make check in.. Whoops. Didn't have my own camera.. Sigh.

Land in Brisbane. Eff me it's hot! Like Rockhampton all over again, but this time, no weird stares from country bumpkins, just one BIG airport. It's raining, sigh.
Take the airtrain to the city, Queensland is looking rather lush compared to grassy Victoria. Applaud airtrain, gets me there in no time.

Find my hostel, is DIRECTLY opposite the train station. Isn't as dingy as I imagined, it was acutally kinda cool. Find my floor, cbf with the old lift and decide to walk four floors. Bad Choice. 20 mins until NFG signing, power get ready.
Meet the New Found Glory boys, turn into a bit of an overexcited fan and say nothing much. Cyrus was definately the most friend, Ian was not, who would have thought??

Come back, check out what Bris-Vegas has to offer. This town is definately cool, see some trendy shops, don't have money so I just look. Get some shitty pasta and venture to the hostel bar. Down some local beer ( You Queenslanders and your big beers), meet some Irish Randoms who had a creepy friend. I get home and sleep.

SATURDAY.
Simone rolls in in no time, show her the room and we go for Breakfast, good old Maccas. See a douche in a woven short sleeve shirt in a hideous print and sidewards hat, Simone and I both note, This guy looks like a wanker. (Take note for later).
Go home to hostel to get pretty. Eloise hogs Mirror and Simone laughs about how I haven't changed.
Start to go to festival, on the bus, traffic is a bitch, should have just walked. Find out LTJ might not play, dang. Line is about 3 km long. I swear. But we get in in no time at all, the whole thing is really organised. Top work Brisbane!

Check the last of Mike Herrera's set, he busts out Chick Magnet. This pattern of hearing the hit song carries on throughout the day. We head to the booze area, are a little distraught to find out that everything is Mid Strength. Eloise gets on the XXXX gold. When in Rome, do as the Romans do... Continue drinking, Saves the Day come on and bust out At Your Funeral. I have been flogging this song of late and get pretty excited. Leave Simone to see LTJ, which due to flight delays did not play. Dang.

Catch the end of Saves the Day, part ways again, Catch Goldfinger playing Superman and end with 99 Red Balloons. It fucking rocked and the crowd, including I was loving it and to top it off they play an outro to march out to. So cool! I meandered of over to stage 6, which was in a full garden, I swear, felt like a Mid Summers nights dream or something similar. Half an hour later Jack's Mannequin starts, crowd swoons over Andrew. I only just got one of his albums, but hey, this guy is decent, and gets the crowd going straight away.

I leave mid set, while looking for Simone check out Forever the Sickest kids. I know realise the wanker from Macca's is the lead singer. LOL massively, and find Simone. LTJ did not do a signing. This is a bit piss poor, but I love them so all is forgiven. See the last of Silversteins set, Shane has gotten MUCH better vocally, nice work my Canadian friends. We then headed back to the main stage.

At this point its getting pretty full, Brisbane does a good festival. I found the peeps a whole lot more laid back, not so cliqey/sceney, everyone just wants to have a good time. We sit down to watch Anberlin from the Grandstands, tres tired feet, discuss the higher bogan ratio in Brisbane V. Melbourne. We also notice lots of Tattoos, and lots of ways to show them off. (I'm talking about you backless Tshirt guy).

Bump into some Fellow Victorians, then go see Hellogoodbye. I've always considered them a novelty act, but after this I can think anything but. These guys are actually really good musicians, who put on a great show. We declare them festival highlight so far.
I can't remember what happened/ I didn;t take pictures to jog my memory for the next two hours, but it did involve Funeral for Friend, dinner, and seeing the lovely Shane and Steph. Man Shane, you are everywhere.

Simone and I part ways again, she decides New Found Glory and I Say Anything. Tough, but hey, I've got Melbourne next week coming. Most ancious wait for a band in a long time, you can feel the tension in the air, it's their first EVER Australian performance. The band starts with Alive with the Glory of Love, the crowd knows all the words. I can't put into words how good they were, I haven't had a live music experience like that in a long time, it was just beyond works. They fucking killed it.

Find Simone, seeing Emery. I don't bother, they sucked when I saw them support Motion City Soundtrack at the Hi Fi. This possibly offends her. I go get some Nin/ Beer action and meet up with a high school friend. Random! Simone and I meet up again for Bayside. She's not to into them but I am gluuuuuuued to Anthony Raneri.

The boys play a good set, its just surreal hearing Anthony's voice again, its been about 18 months since I last saw them. New stuff goes off live. W
The festival ends and we trot on off home, making it back to the hostel by 10:40, I shit you not. Brisnbane is organised !

We are stuffed by this stage, but I am determined to party, how often does one fly interstate? Wash off the dirty festival smell, attempt to get pretty but I put on too much make up and am bordering on looking like a hooker. But hey, its not my town right?? After some pre drinks at the Hostel Bar, We got to the Brisvegas version of Next ( The said club where our friendship was cemented). The club has a really cool vibe, much more friendly, Yeah for Brisbane. Apparently its packed due to Soundwave, also I note for a punk club, it did not play said music genre. This doesn't bother me too much as I don't get out much these days, and a night out is a night out. I drink FAR too many of these large Qld beers and get home at 4am. Simones flight leaves at 7 so she omits sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED>>>

No comments: